Rad Reading-March

In March, I enjoyed reading Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz. This historical fiction novel features a Jewish boy named Yanek Gruner, set during World War II in Kraków, Poland. As the Nazis started invading Kraków, Life just went downhill for him and his family. It’s so bad that they must sneak out at night to get food at a local bakery. One day, he gets put into a concentration camp. He thought this was the only camp he would be at. However, he was at ten different concentration camps. Yanek thinks multiple times to commit suicide, but he keeps reminding himself he made it this far, so he has to keep going. 

I recommend Prisoner B-3087. One reason is that I was immediately drawn to the book. This book wasn’t like some books where the climax is the only exciting part, this book had me hooked from the beginning. The vivid descriptions and a lot of details made me feel like I was on Yanek’s journey with him, which made the book all the more enjoyable. As a result, I have found myself eager to read every night. Furthermore, this book teaches us about the dark chapter of history, this serves as a reminder to be grateful for what we have.

My favorite character was Yanek. He had many admirable traits, such as determination, bravery, and resilience, but his caringness stood out to me. An example is on page 19, when Yanek tells his dad, “‘I want to go with you!” This shows Yanek’s compassion, as he wants to accompany his dad to get bread during curfew. It also demonstrates his loyalty to his family. Lastly, Yanek’s decision to go with his dad illustrates his empathy for others, because he wouldn’t have gone if he didn’t care about his dad’s health.

There were many quotes that I loved, but my favorite was on page 256. The author states, “Now it was time to live.” I love this quote, because it is another reminder for us to be grateful for our lives. Plus, when I think about this quote, it reminds me of the theme of never giving up. This message resonates with me, and it inspires me to keep pushing forward even when it gets tough. This quote can be a perfect way to conclude a book, and it left me with a good impression. Also, I learned that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. When I think about this quote, it leaves me feeling motivated and uplifted. Overall, this is a remarkable quote.